Last comment as a freshman

during the jury

One more jury has passed away and I have just realised that I feel more comfortable about presenting my works unlike the first semester. I get used to the studio environment where has became a second home to me. My adventure as a freshman is about to come to an end, and I can’t wait to see what my sophomore year will bring to me. ūüôā

 

Final jury has arrived

Tomorrow is the big day of the whole semester. Final jury is going to take time from 9 am and I am very exited for the jury comments waiting me.Seems like, I enjoy the atmosphere of the jury days in the studio. You can smell happiness, excitement, concern and the rush all together and it kinda have a nice scent. Come and taste it tomorrow with us, in the architectural studios of Ted University.

I would like to share some frames of my final model with its poster. Here they are:

Nilay Karakoy final poster

2nd Pre-jury model

Unlike the first pre-jury we were supposed to inject our seed models into a 40×70 field. That’s why I have reconsidered my strategy and examined the areas that the seed describes.

I have observed that the field has two highest levels at the upper layer and one lowest level of area at the bottom layer and I wanted to relate that far parts with the help of the seed. Therefore, my seed’s location is shaped through the direction of these main three parts. It spreads as ¬†diagonally and at hrough the corner where the prts of upper layer are located, it can be observed more obviously from the top. However, around the middle of the diagonal it overflows from the field at the bottom layer.

SEED + FńįELD [pre-jury]

After the production of our field models we were supposed to inject seeds into our fields. We chose an area from both layers of our fields to be used while injecting the seed. Fields were loaded with the information of districts and seeds were made for the creation of spaces. So, these two different approaches came together to study on spatial relations.(Wow!)

While studying I used to start with producing the fields first and than adding the planes of my seed according to the field. However this method didn’t work well and resulted in my seed to be distributed into the field and loose it’s unity. ¬†Then the method of working with the seed first and than putting the fields according to it gave rise to much more opportunities and provided a more related seed model in the layers of the field.

While doing this both the seed and field layers have transformed a lot. The information in the layers of the field shaped itself with the positions of the seed planes and spaces defined within the seed. Additionally, the seed did not remained the same. The spaces has increased with the help of the field and the distance between the elements of the seed has differed according to the positioning of the field layers.

After a long speech of my model making process I would like to introduce you my field+seed model. Here it is:

Modelling the fields

After the maps we have produced it was time to overlap them to find out new relations and conditions and to make an abstract field model.

I should confess that it was one of the most tiring models that I have done so far.

We were assigned to use strips in the length of 70 cm an create a layer in the sizes of 40×70 for each district. For the first stage we were not expected to create a physical relation between these two layers.

Here are my overlapped maps

Ulus:ulus overlapped map

Sakarya:sakarya overlapped map

The Seed: Working on creating spaces through keywords

‘Seed’ is the topic of our new assignment series which is about spatial relations. We have started with constructing our seeds which are consist of approximate 10 elements. First, i have started to create my seed by trying to define spaces with triangular elements. While creating those spaces my strategy was to make spaces which are both open and close inside and I give effort to sustain continuity between those spaces. However, we were restricted with a certain angle (90) between the elements those touch to each other. Since it was a tiring trial, I have added an additional type of elements which are in the geometry of ¬†parallelogram. ¬†Below you can check what it looks like:

Later on, we were assigned to work with the extreme conditions of our keywords. Triangles were remaining their difficulty and my first extreme trial was about to break the continuity that I have spent hours on and I have spent hours (again) to break it. Every model trial takes time. I have no problem with it. I can spend hours on it however I was not able to achieve satisfactory results with triangle. So that I have changed my elements to rectangular ones. I hope that I can have a chance to work with triangles but “Goodbye” for now!

Spatial Experience // Diagram

Wow! I think it was an enjoyable start to the second term course of Basics of Design, namely Introduction to Architectural Design. We were given a list of movies to work on spatial experience. Plus, we were divided into gruops of 4 to work on. Among the list which is consisting movies such as: Inception, Taxi driver, Fifth Element, Gravity, Schindler’s List, Clockwork Orange, Terminal … we have decided on “Truman Show.”

Afterwards, we were assigned to chose a moment from the movie of our choice and then examine the qualities of the experience of space to be depicted as a diagram in the light of keywords that we have specified for the chosen scene.

My keywords: DIRECTION/DENSITY/DIVISION/CORE(FOCUS)

Here you see the ‘print screen’ of the moment that I have chosen from the Truman Show:

truman

Here are the diagrams that I have worked on:

And my final diagram after the discussion hour and critics.

017c7ac42db9f061ad2bdf7be9cdbf6825ca6e33e8
“(Draft)Final diagram”