COD NAME: COMORO

Co-mo-ro or namely copy-move rotate was our next step after abstraction(yet the term abstraction stuck to us like a snail). In this step we were free to do a model without a reference (something like an image) and the restriction came with the area of our elements (the area of the initial element could be at most 20cm^2). Although it was really challenging to deal without referring to something, without a doubt it was much more fun to work on.

Collage14

I have started with creating units of four elements(6×3) by using edge to surface relation and while making them I used the methods of copying, rotating and moving all together. While combining these units, intersection was a charming solution to achieve some different relations within the whole model.

After the discussion hour, I realized that I did not really pay attention to the key words “variation & differentiation”. So, a revise was inevitable. Also, since my units were more than symmetric the whole model was into being symmetric as well. Due to this reason, I started to work with a different uBeFunky Collage12nit. Units is better I guess. Because this time I varied my units, too. [New ones(there were two of them) were consisting of two initial planes (6×3)] Of course this was not enough to compose the variations so I went on with altering the types of relations, too. Since the number of elements were also restricted I was not able to deal with all the relations.

Revise! Yeah, fortunately our instructors were aware of the difficulty of the number limitation and then they came with the unit limitation or should we call it “extension”? Yes, it was difficult to control all the reference lines occurred with the less of elements but why extending the number of units (not elements, units) at least to ten?! It leads to more reference lines which is going o be more challenging to control. This was how I thought at the discussion table but there was a point that I was missing, the number extension became an headache for me however it helped me to discover the potentials of the elements in terms of relations and variations. Collage13

After all I was more pleased with what occurred.
What I learned after the next discussion hour is that never be pleased with what happened, there is always something you are missing! Revises revises revises… I know it will never end but luckily I got used to it.
The next discussion hour brought us a new method for working with the relations. Diagram! First I thought that it would be a great way to see what I have done, unfortunately the diagram idea came with many difficulties such as seeing what I have done was totally a mess. I mean there was no problem about the variations of relations but I realized that the relations between relations was the point that I was missing.

Next, I started to work with a diagram in the process of making the model yet it was much more harder. To see that the plan on the paper is not working on the model was really disappointing. It’s hard for me to recognize how many times I changed my model and played with the relations on the diagram.

Here is the final product

Collage15

BeFunky Collage16

Advertisements

Author: Nilay Karaköy

Hi everyone! This is Nilay Karaköy, a freshman arcitecture student in TED University. I am deeply into photography, drawing, watercolor, cooking and K-drama

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s